Our SweetDreams 72 cocoa solids dark chocolate, in its purest form, paired with chia and poured into solid hearts.
What Makes Dark Chocolate So Good for You
Dark chocolate is made from roasted cocoa kernels. Rich in antioxidants from the flavonol family, it contains arginine, which releases a substance to dilate and relax arteries. Antioxidants are important because they protect cells and tissues from damage by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can alter and weaken cells. Consider them an insurance policy against the wear and tear that comes from stress, poor diet, and the inevitable process of aging.
Our Cleveland Clinic Prescriptive Wellness Committee has evaluated dark chocolate and has recommended it for the following benefits based on the latest research:
• Decreases skin damage from ultraviolet light
• Decreases LDL (lousy) and raises HDL (healthy) cholesterol
• Improves mood — the brain releases dopamine after eating cocoa, which elevates mood
• Decreases menopause symptoms
• Decreases systolic blood pressure by 5 points and diastolic (the bottom number) by 3 points from eating one ounce, daily
• Polyphenol-rich cocoa was shown in one study to reduce fatigue and improve energy and overall functioning in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome